Sunday, September 7, 2008

What the hell, students?

Usually, I don't comment on fan behavior on PFN. I tend to keep my analysis, insight and focus where it belongs: on Arizona State sports. However, there was enough to annoy me last night that I feel like I need to write.

This, of course, all comes after I was almost nailed on the face when someone decided to throw a pair of eyeglasses on the field after a bad call. That's straight dangerous. Creative, I'll concede. But very dangerous.

ASU's student section gets a lot of praise from the rest of the fans for being loud and rowdy, which is of course how it should be. But frankly, I'm of the impression that our student section doesn't even really watch the game.

I understand that mob mentality is never going to come up with the most creative chants in the world, but when you've settled for chanting "F**k you Stanford" just three minutes into the 1st quarter, it's bad. That's not supporting the Devils. That's just being vulgar for the sake of being vulgar.

What irked me the most were those "BRING ON GEORGIA" signs that somehow popped up in mass numbers during the 4th quarter. I'm not going to completely blame the student section for holding them up, most of the blame belongs with the people who produced the signs. However, for all our fans talk about how they don't want our Devils to look ahead to the game with the Bulldogs on September 20; how they want ASU to keep buying into DE's "one game at a time" mentality, shouldn't you know better than to chant and hold up Bring On Georgia signs?

It definitely makes me more unhappy that this happened late in the game, when frankly, most of the students who show up at Sun Devil games for the social/tailgating/saying-they-were-there aspect have left, leaving the ones who for the most part actually know a good amount about football.

I'm all about having a good time, trust me. I am a former student section goer myself. I'm thrilled that those sections are filled to the brim, completely decked out in gold, for pretty much every game for the past two seasons. But it's all a moot point if you guys don't know how to be a powerful and creative student section.

No comments: